I just sent out my first newsletter, and here's the text of it. To subscribe to my future newsletters (3-12 per year), click on the link below. Also, please let me know of any writing-related topics you'd like me to cover in blog posts. Thanks, and keep on writing!
Welcome to Resources for Writers! My aim is to offer lots of great links to useful articles and other valuable resources for fiction writers, as well as alerts on freebies and discounts on my books and others.
Feel free to forward this blog post to any other writers you know, and perhaps suggest they subscribe to receive the next newsletter directly. Here’s the link to subscribe to “Resources for Writers” occasional newsletters: http://eepurl.com/C9dKD
Scroll down for links to giveaways and useful blog posts by me and others.
Summertime, and the livin’ is...hectic? This spring and summer have been crazy busy! Besides editing fiction and writing craft-of-fiction advice, I’ve also been speaking to writers’ groups. In May & July, I presented two workshops and have other panels and workshops planned for upcoming writing conferences.
Also, I’ve been busy revising and expanding my Writing a Killer Thriller – An Editor’s Guide to Writing Compelling Fiction (new edition now in print, too), writing blog posts, editing fiction manuscripts for others, judging self-published books for Writer’s Digest, and attending Thrillerfest in NYC in July, where I participated in a panel “How to Be a Masterful Editor – of Your Own Work.”
And I’m preparing a workshop on “Deep Point of View” for Killer Nashville in three weeks, where I’ll also be on a panel called “Be Your Own Editor – Make Your Book the Best it Can Be.” And finally, I’ll be contributing to two magazines, in August & Sept. (details & links below).
I’m giving away a book a week for the months of August & October on Goodreads. Here’s the schedule and links for August. Click on the title to go to Goodreads.
Aug. 1 - 14 – 2 print copies of STYLE THAT SIZZLES & PACING FOR POWER will be given away.
Aug. 14 - 28 – 2 print copies of WRITING A KILLER THRILLER will be given away.
This pattern of Giveaways on Goodreads will repeat in October (2 weeks for each book, one free book per week).
SOME RECENT BLOG POSTS OF INTEREST TO FICTION WRITERSClick on the title to go to the article.
- Developing a Strong Third-Person Voice, by Jodie Renner, The Kill Zone
- Analyzing Book Description Copy, by James Scott Bell, The Kill Zone
- The Readers Sound Off! How They Read, What They Like and Where They Find Us, by Marie Force, New York Times, USA Today and Wall Street Journal Bestselling Author
- What Does an Agent Want to See When They Google You? By Chuck Sambuchino:
- Thought Verbs, by Chuck Palahniuk:
- Tips for Writing Compelling Back Cover Copy, by Jodie Renner, Crime Fiction Collective:
- Basic Formatting of Your Manuscript (Formatting 101), by Jodie Renner:
- Revising, Editing, and Polishing Your Novel, by Jodie Renner:
- Write a Killer Thriller Opening, by Jodie Renner, Writers Forensics blog:
- Adding Suspense, Tension, & Intrigue to Your Story, by Jodie Renner, The Thrill Begins:
- Big-Picture Problems to Look for in Your Novel , CFC:
- Checklist for Adding Suspense & Intrigue, by Jodie Renner, The Kill Zone:
JODIE’S ARTICLES OR INTERVIEWS IN WRITING-RELATED MAGAZINES
Suspense Magazine, August 2013 issue: “Adding Tension, Suspense, & Intrigue to Your Story” by Jodie Renner: http://www.suspensemagazine.com/
Southern Writers Magazine, Sept.-Oct. issue – interview of Jodie Renner, freelance editor: www.southernwritersmagazine.com
RECENT & UPCOMING WORKSHOPS AND PANELS
- Aug. 23-25, 2013 - Killer Nashville Conference, Nashville, Tenn. http://www.killernashville.com/schedule/ :
Jodie will present a workshop called “Deep Point of View, or How to Avoid Head-Hopping.”
Also, she’ll be on a panel called “Be Your Own Editor – Make Your Book the Best it Can Be.”
- July 13, 2013: Thrillerfest, New York City. Jodie participated in a panel called “How to Become a Masterful Editor—of Your Own Work.” She also distributed three relevant handouts on revision and self-editing.
- July 18, 2013: London Writers Society, London, Ontario: Jodie presented a workshop on “Self-Publishing on Amazon.”
- May 2013: Jodie presented a workshop called "12 Do's & Don'ts for a Compelling Opening" to the London Writers Society.
Jodie Renner, a freelance fiction editor specializing in thrillers and other fast-paced fiction, has published two books to date in her series, An Editor’s Guide to Writing Compelling Fiction: WRITING A KILLER THRILLER and STYLE THAT SIZZLES & PACING FOR POWER, both available in e-book and trade paperback.
For more info, please visit Jodie’s author website or editor website, or find her on Facebook or Twitter.
Post a Comment