Sunday, January 19, 2014

Another Award for Style That Sizzles

by Jodie Renner, editor, author, speaker    

Great news!

This week, as I've been madly preparing two workshops to present at the SDSU Writer's Conference in San Diego and also busy downsizing and packing in preparation for selling my house and moving across the country, I was delighted to receive an email saying my Style That Sizzles & Pacing for Power (soon to be retitled Fire up Your Fiction) has won another award, this one from Writer's Digest.

Last September it won a Silver Medal in the Florida Authors & Publishers President's Book Awards for 2013.


A few days ago, WRITER'S DIGEST contacted me to say I'd won an Honorable Mention (third) in their Writer's Digest Self-Published E-Book Awards for 2013 and sent me the judge's commentary on the book. Writer's Digest Book Awards are huge, with thousands of entries, so it feels like a real honor. Also, there were only two categories for this contest, fiction and nonfiction, so competition was fierce.


Here are some excerpts from the lengthy, entirely positive review I received from a judge in the contest:

“What a wonderful resource for writers at any stage of their career! I wish I had this book when I first started writing. You have pulled together information from the best sources ... and presented them all in one place. ... You did a great job of explaining ‘Show, don’t tell.’ That’s so difficult for new writers to grasp. In fact, you’ve done a great job of everything. I can’t think of anything important that you haven’t addressed succinctly and clearly. ... This should be on the booklist for Master’s Programs in Writing for Publication. I liked how you double-spaced lists and examples to add white space for easier reading. Your embellished Table of Contents makes it easy to find specific topics to review when we write. ... You must be a wonderful editor to be able to write such a readable, but comprehensive book.”

- Judge, Writer’s Digest Self-Published e-Book Awards, January 2014

I especially like the line, "This should be on the booklist for Master’s Programs in Writing for Publication."  If you've read and enjoyed Style That Sizzles (Fire up Your Fiction) and know of any college or university creative writing programs, including continuing education, that could benefit from having this book on their recommended reading lists, I'd be very grateful if you could suggest it to them - or tell me about the program and I'll contact them myself.

Thanks! Now back to packing for my trip to sunny San Diego!

And by the way, here's a list of topics I present workshops on at writers' conferences, as well as my speaking schedule so far for 2014: www.JodieRenner.com/workshops.

And a list of Book Contests for Indie Authors, which I compiled for my group blog, The Kill Zone.


Jodie Renner, a freelance fiction editor specializing in thrillers and other fast-paced fiction, has published two books to date in her series, An Editor’s Guide to Writing Compelling Fiction: Writing a Killer Thriller and Fire up Your Fiction (Style That Sizzles & Pacing for Power), which won a Silver Medal in the FAPA Book Awards, 2013, and Honorable Mention in the Writer’s Digest Self-Published E-Book Awards, 2013. For more info, please visit Jodie’s author website or editor website, her blog, Resources for Writers, or find her on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+. Jodie also blogs alternate Mondays on The Kill Zone blog. Subscribe to Jodie’s “Resources for Writers” newsletter here.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Jodie! You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words, Diane! :-)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Jodie. I look forward to seeing you at SDSU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited about the SDSU conference and meeting you and everyone else, Erin! And of course sharing with aspiring authors in my two workshops!

      Delete

Share It